Friday, April 26, 2013

Healthy Chocolate Oat Fudge Bars





I always believed that raw food could never be as delicious as ordinary baked goods which are packed with butter and refined sugars. But now I think that it's just very difficult to compare it. The taste between raw and baked desserts is very different. Raw desserts usually don't have that chewy glutinuous texture and butter flavour. But there are other ingredients like nuts, dried fruits, oats or coconut oil which create a fantastic taste when combined together. Another good thing is that you don't have to feel bad about eating it.

Recently I have been trying to use honey instead of sugar as much as I can. I also bacame quite obsessed with coconut oil. It's perfect for making desserts like these. However, only unrefined coconut oil guarantees that amazing taste. 

The Idea of these bars came up to my mind when I terribly wanted something sweet (nothing surprising) and there was nothing around me. So I decided to create something healthy out of the ingredients I had that moment. Honestly, I didn't think these will turn out THAT good. I mean, so chewy, sweet and brownie-like. In fact, I ate a third of it when I was making it. It's like eating a cookie dough. Couldn't it be any better?? So I finished these bars at once (but it really makes more than 1 serving. Only I can eat so much). And I was making them the next day also. And then the next day again. Etc. 

Feel free to add some chopped nuts, dried fruits or anything you like. But first try them plain. Enjoy and feel good about what you eat!



Healthy Chocolate Oat Fudge Bars

30g unrefined coconut oil
5 tbsp honey
2-3 tbsp cocoa powder*
50g unsweetened dried coconut
1 ½ cup quick cooking oats
Few drops of almond extract (optional)

*The amounts of the ingredients do not have to be strictly accurate here - you may add more or less according to your taste. If adding more cocoa, you might have to add more honey too. Just taste it during the process of making and decide wheather you need to make any changes.

1)  Grind the oats to a fine flour.

2) In a medium bowl, combine together the cocoa powder, dried coconut and ground oats.

3) In a small saucepan, combine together the coconut oil and honey. Set over low heat and stir to combine. Remove from heat when melted.

4) Pour the melted honey/coconut oil mixture into the oat mixture and stir to combine. Add almond extract, if using. Use your hands to knead if needed. Press down into a small square baking pan and refrigerate several hours. Cut into squares and enjoy.

**This recipe makes quite a small batch - I used a 10x20cm square pan. So feel free to double the ingredients!

Recipe by collecting memories


2 comments:

  1. I always love your photos. There are cute food photos, by the tablecloth, table, plate, even if food doesn't look very close to your eyes.
    But, in your photos, food seems really to be in face of us. Love it!!

    And hate it, can feel texture and colour of food, but not taste it :P

    Once I made raw brownies, and well, it was NOT brownie, but it was heaven!

    I love these bars because the seem soooo chewy and fudge!!

    I never have bought coconut oil, must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am so bad I'm trying to make my food look good in the photos! :D
      Really, you must try coconut oil. Promise you will! I can't describe how much I love all things oatmeal with coconut oil, it's so perfect for various bars and cookies!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...