This cake is one of the best I have EVER made. The layers were very, very, very rich and fudgy and moist, the white chocolate cream cheese frosting was amazing, and finally, the layer of homemade strawberry jam made it divine. It was a little bit sour which matched perfectly with the sweetness of the cake and the frosting. The next day, after setting in the fridge, it was even better. To be honest, the longer it stayed in the fridge, the better it was.
250g/2 cups all-purpose flour
400g/2 cups sugar
85g/¾ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
240ml/1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
120ml/½ cup oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
240ml/1 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Butter two 23cm/8inch round cake pans. Line with parchment paper or butter and flour the pans.
2) Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and mix until combined.
3) In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. Add coffee and stir just to combine.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes, turn them out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slice each cake in half.
Cream Cheese Frosting
300g cream cheese
100g powdered sugar
200ml heavy cream, divided
200g white chocolate, broken into small pieces
1) In a bowl, beat cream cheese until softened.
2) In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat 100ml of heavy cream until very hot and pour onto white chocolate. Leave for 2 minutes and then stir to combine. When slightly cooled, fold into the cream cheese and mix until smooth.
3) In a medium bowl with a mixer on medium speed, beat remaining 100ml of heavy cream with powdered sugar until stiff. Gradually fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. (I was very impatient and chilled it just for a half an hour. Don't repeat my mistake!)
230g/2 cups frozen strawberries
8g/1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 30g of cold water
In a small saucepan over low heat, place strawberries and sugar. Cover and simmer until strawberries start releasing liquid. Mash them with a fork and keep simmering until the sugar has melted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cool and refrigerate for an hour.
Place one cake layer on a large plate. Spread 1/3 of cream cheese mixture, cover with another cake layer. Spread the strawberry jam and cover with another cake layer. Spread 1/2 of remaining cream cheese mixture and place the last cake layer on top. Cover with remaining cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
Recipe by collecting memories