Thursday, May 16, 2013

Homemade Potato Garlic Gnocchi










It's gnocchi time! Making them is a very fun process even if I'm not very good at making these grooves. But anyway. Who cares? I knew I was going to fry them so it didn't really matter. And frying them in brown butter is the best part. Oh, no, eating is the very best part.

Homemade Potato Garlic Gnocchi

2 small potatoes, boiled
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
pinch pepper
large pinch salt
100 - 125g flour

1) Mash your potatoes with a fork and mix together with garlic. Add the egg and all the seasonings. Start adding flour and when it starts to be hard to mix the batter, transfer it to the board and start kneading. When it almost stops sticking to your hands, stop adding flour.

2) Roll the dough into a 1-2 cm thick log and cut it every 2-3 cm. Make grooves with a fork, make an indentation with your thumb or simply leave them as they are. (I'm not very good at making grooves so next time I'm not going to torture myself trying to make them). 

3) Cook in a salted boiling water. Just don't pack the pot! Cook half of these at first. When they come to the surface, let them cook for a few minutes and remove from water.

4) To make them crispy, melt about a tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan. Cover and let the butter brown over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. When It starts smelling yummy, add half of the gnocchi and increase the heat. Let cook until golden brown on both sides. Repeat with the remaining gnocchi and a tablespoon of butter.

Serves 2-3.

Recipe by collecting memories



36 comments:

  1. Looks very good!!! Crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eu amei o blog, muito lindo mesmo. Parabéns, vou sempre estar aqui (:

    http://ontendency.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen it fried. I will give this a try. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make gnocchi at home some years ago. And don't dare!! I've fear!!!

    I love how you cooked them! What I like the most about gnocchi is sauté in butter, and if is brown butter (and some sage, nice also) even better.

    Let's see if I make with homemade, and not shop-bought, I'm sure they have a better texture, and more authentic taste. So coward am I!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these today and thank you thank you thank you ! They were amazing and a huge hit with the family. I look forward to making them again
    Zelda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy you liked them :)

      Delete
  6. These were awesome! I added a 1/2 cup of parm cheese and a dash of nutmeg too, that I saw in another recipe. Delish. Will be making again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Parmesan always makes things better :)

      Delete
  7. If I increase the amount of potatoes, do I increase the amount of eggs and garlic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if increasing the amount of one ingredient, you should always increase the amount of other ingredients, too. However, you may add as much garlic as you wish, it's up to your taste!

      Delete
  8. Mine are not light and fluffy. I'm not sure how they're supposed to look after they boil. Do you have any pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I don't have any. Maybe you should try adding less flour into the batter?

      Delete
  9. I've never made these before and may not have even eaten them before(?) Your recipe looks easy and delish; I was wondering are they sort of like a soft potato pretzel? Guess I'll just have to make them and find out. Great pics and post! ps: I was thinking after you cut your product, why not refrigerate them for a few minutes and then try your fork method, they may firm up so that they hold the texture when pressed. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea! If you try it, please tell me how it worked. I have never heard of potato pretzels, I think you will have to make these and find out what it is. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  10. Would olive oil work instead of butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work, but you won't get that flavour from browned butter! If you can, use butter :)

      Delete
  11. Not being a cook & only one that experiments now & then, I could never make these as I don't have a clue as to how much 100 - 125g flour would be. Maybe 10 cups or could be only 1 ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 125g of flour equals exactly 1 cup. 100g is slightly less.

      Delete
  12. I have Meniere's disease and cannot have salt. Is it possible to boil these without adding the salt in the water? It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it is possible, salt is just for the taste. But it won't taste that good without salt!

      Delete
  13. Delicious ! The only problem was that I didn't know for how many people was the receipt.. So we will eat it tomorrow... And the day after tomorrow ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do they freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just eating ;)... Deliciouuus!!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. Would have been nice to note that you need to let the potatoes cool before trying to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After rolling the doughs do i just put them in salted boiling water? For how long? And should the next step be putting them into melted butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you cook them right after rolling them. The cooking time may vary. The gnocchi will start floating on the surface and when this happens, cook for another 2-4 minutes. Once cooked, melt butter in a skillet and throw gnocchi into butter. Fry for a few minutes until crispy on both sides.

      Delete
  18. Hello there,

    I've just tried your sweet potato gnocchi recipe with a little twist and it worked fantastique.
    I wish I could send you a picture. My sweet potatoes are purple inside and I have passed them on coconut oil with chilli. Waw. Thanks for sharing.
    Warm Regards. Paula

    ReplyDelete
  19. How much(salt and water) boiling water)?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice recipe in vietnam and this place is also best for spent time thanks for the blog. Restaurant near venkateshwar college

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gonna try it as it looks yummy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...