Friday, January 18, 2013

Strawberry & Banana Oatmeal Bake







Recently I am quite obsessed with healthy food. I'm constantly thinking of ideas to bake something healthier. I started using more applesauce, bananas, honey as natural sweeteners, reduce sugar and butter amounts in my baked goods. Actually I just created a recipe of a totally healthy cake which doesn't contain any butter or oil and just a small amount of sugar and flour. I hope I will post the recipe soon. However, now about this oatmeal bake. It is one of these healthy breakfast which inspired me to bake more and more from oats, honey, berries and fruits. This oatmeal bake has become one of my favourite breakfast. To be honest, I ate it all the same day I made it. Terrible. But it's not that bad as it sounds! Because I definitely consider it guilt-free. What is more, it reminds me of summer so much! I don't remember when I last baked with strawberries. When their smell started coming out of the oven, it really felt like spring is almost here! And really, time will pass so quickly and we will indulge in warm sunshine and summer breeze again. Can't wait!

Strawberry & Banana Oatmeal Bake
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 tbsp brown sugar + 2 tbsp honey (or add a little more if you like it sweeter)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon spice (I used cinnamon, cloves, cardamon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
A handful of black currants (optional)
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 ripe banana, peeled, cut in slices 
(I also added a handful of black currants)

1) Preheat oven to 190°C. Lightly oil the baking dish.

2) In a large bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, spice, salt and half the strawberries. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and butter.

3) Add the oat mixture to prepared baking dish. Pour the milk mixture on top and put the remaining strawberries and bananas on everything.

4) Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set. You may sprinkle some brown sugar on top when almost fully baked and put into the oven for an additional minute. I reccomend serving with maple syrup, honey or any other syrup of choice.


7 comments:

  1. i tried this a cup seemed to be very little i got a very small omelette size one. I used chocolate oatmeal milk too, next time i'll probably leave the orange zest out. (making again tonight lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a smaller baking dish so for me the size was just ok! Of course you may leave the zest out (I just loved the zest and added even more to my bake) so it's up to you. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you want a dessert with kilos of butter, but it's true that sometimes you feel like you want something sweet but not so 'heavy', you can't eat certain things every single day of the week.

    So I also like this kind of thinkg. I made a breakfast similart to this, using carrots, and remains a carrot cake, but very light version.
    It's great cos you're having a healthy breakfast, but it seems something more outrageous, like a forbidden desert :P
    I make it in mini-cocotte, so I get a ration for the moment.

    Have you tried any brownie recipe withous butter, with applesauce?? I found one recipe that makes the mooooost juicy brownie, you can't believe it has no butteer!! Although, of course, it doesn't stop to be a brownie with lots of chocolate and some sugar :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea that you can make something sweet and delicious from vegetables like carrots, pumpkin, etc.
      I never tried brownies with applesauce instead of butter. It sounds a bit unbelievable to make brownies without butter, doesn't it? But I believe it's possible!! Applesauce is an amazing thing. It can replace butter and a dessert remains moist and you won't even notice that there's no butter! Your recipe of brownies intrigued me! :) If it's not a secret recipe, I wish to have it!! :D

      Delete
  3. Of course, not a secret!! Only a recipe I made after tasting and changing some other recipes ;)

    You can change the type of chocolate, chips, extract, use flour, ground nuts or cornstarch, depending on your preference, spices you want...
    Very versatile, as the usual brownies ;)

    I try to translate, OK? Being a brownie, on of the simplest recipe, can't be difficult :P

    With a square pan of 15x15 cm you have a tall brownie, you can use also a bigger pan.

    - 80 grams of ground nuts (or flour, or a mix of both)
    - 20 grams of cocoa powder
    - 75 grams of sugar (the amount depends on the chocolate, and you can reduce if your applesauce has sugar)
    - 140 grams of chocolate (I like 70-85%)
    - 160 grams of applesauce (I make it only with apples, no sugar)
    - 2 eggs (L)
    - 1 pinch of salt
    - 50-100 grams of chips, nuts, or what you like...

    1) Mix ground nuts, cocoa, salt and sugar in a bowl.
    2) Melt chocolate and mix it with applesause, using a spatula.
    Add the eggs and mix again.
    3) Add the ground nuts mixture to the chocolate and mix with the spatula, until smooth. Only a little, not overbeat.
    4) Add the chips or what you're using and pour the batter in the pan.
    I bake 180º for 20 minutes, then I cover with foil, lower the temperature to 160º and bake another 20 minutes.
    But in my mom oven I bake it 180º for 30-35 minutes.

    Once, I make it with white chocolate, almond and ginger, you can see it here (http://enmienredadera.blogspot.com.es/2012/09/la-primera-hoja-que-cae-este-otono-de.html). If you want, delete the link before posting, don't want to spam your blog, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, thank you!!! This looks like a wonderful recipe! I will definitely try it. I have lots of slightly sweetened applesauce so I think I'll just reduce the amount of sugar. And I want to try it with nuts instead of flour. :))

      Delete
  4. Could I use steel cut oats in something like this? How would it convert? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...