Monday, February 16, 2015

Sweet Noodle Kugel



I was very intrigued when I discovered Noodle Kugel. This was something totally new to me, but I was sure it's something really delicious. Then I found out that it's a traditional Jewish dish. I checked out lots of recipes and all of them use pretty much the same ingredients. Most of the recipes call for egg noodles but I didn't have any and simply used basic wheat noodles. Some use Farmer's cheese instead of Cottage cheese, but I guess Cottage cheese is easier to find. Some Kugels are made with milk and omit sour cream. I decided to add some light cream (just because I had some leftovers), but you could substitute it with full-fat milk if you like. Some Kugels are made with sweet crushed Cornflakes: half of them is mixed with the noodles and another half is sprinkled on the top of it to produce a crunchy exterior. Raisins are also optional here, but for me, a Kugel MUST contain raisins. I just love the combo of cottage cheese and raisins. So these are the possible variations of this famous Jewish dish, and below is my version of it. The result? It's just perfectly delicious. It's creamy, custardy, not overly sweet and has a caramelized, cinnamony top. It's totally my kind of dessert. I DO recommend you to try this if you've never had a sweet kugel. You're gonna love this.


Sweet Noodle Kugel

Kugel:
500g (17.5 oz) noodles
56g (1/2 stick) butter
6 eggs
500g (17.5 oz) cottage cheese
345g (1 1/2 cup) sour cream
80ml (1/3 cup) light cream
225g (1 cup) white sugar
120g (4 oz) raisins

Topping:
4 tbsp breadcrumbs
3 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

1) Cook noodles according to directions (Add a splash of oil into the boiling water before cooking to prevent noodles from sticking together). Once cooked, rinse under cold water for 1 minute. Drain well.

2) Preheat oven to 190C / 375F. Lightly grease a deep metal square baking pan and set aside.

3) In a small bowl, combine together the topping ingredients and set aside.

4) In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Turn off the heat and let cool slightly. Beat in the eggs, cottage cheese, sour cream, light cream and sugar. Mix everything well. Add in the noodles and raisins and stir to combine.

5) Pour the mixture into the baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumb/sugar mixture.

6) Bake for approximately 1 hour. You may check the Kugel after 45-50 minutes. If the center looks a little bit runny but the edges are brown and firm, you may remove it from the oven. It will firm up while cooling.

7) Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cold.

Recipe by collecting memories


9 comments:

  1. Eating is really one of my hobby i mean part of my life and cooking is my passion. I also love going to a place and at the same time taste their delicious and most wanted food.I want to taste something that is new to my palate. Thanks for sharing your article with us.

    n8fan.net

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happy to share it ! ;)

      Delete
  2. I admired those who has able to create a blog as wonderful as this! You are truly a hard working person. Keep up the good work and keep on posting.

    Say
    www.imarksweb.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that means a lot to me! It is a hard work and it's amazing to know that people enjoy my recipes. Thank you for the beautiful words!!

      Delete
  3. I was looking for articles on Fresh Milk and I came across yours inspiring read. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying this tonight. It's in the oven now. Found you from Pinterest. I appreciate that you put metric and English conversions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Almost any could work - use any kind of regular wheat (egg or egg free) noodles.

      Delete
  6. I'd never had kugel before until a couple of my good friends at work brought it into the office. One of them said it tasted just like his mom's. That's when I knew I had to find the recipe. I love Jewish food!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...