Sunday, February 05, 2012
Chewy Granola Energy Bars
Soft, chewy and healthy granola bars.
2 cups quick rolled oats
4 tbsp wheat germ
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tbsp natural honey
1/2 tsp natural brown sugar
~1 cup sweetened applesauce
100g dried cranberries
100g chopped pitted dates
(you can use any combination... There's so much fun to experiment with it. Next time I'll try it with dried apples, apricots etc. You can also use any other nuts but I chose walnuts because they're softer. I imagine pistachios would add a nice flavour)
1) In a saucepan, mix the first four ingredients and toast until fragrant and lightly browned.
2) In another saucepan, combine next four ingredients and heat until everything is melted.
3) Mix the dried fruits together.
4) Turn off the heat and add wet ingredients into oat mixture. Add in the fruits. Mix well!
5) Now line a baking sheet into your pan and pour the mixture onto it. Press down and let completely cool before cutting.