Imagine a soft, moist and buttery cupcake with a fluffy chocolate frosting on top. Yes. These cupcakes are exactly like that. I like the fact that these have a strong butter flavour so it's important that you use a really good quality butter. And don't use low fat ingredients here. Speaking about the frosting, it seems like there's nothing special about it. And really, it's super simple. No heavy cream or chocolate is needed here. That means, you probably already have all the ingredients at home. Despite the simple ingredients, it's surprisingly good! But there's one important condition! Do beat the frosting with a mixer as long as you can. That's how it becomes so fluffy and bubbly. Believe me, it's worth the effort.
Recipe found here.
62g/½ cup cake flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
56g/¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large egg yolk
60g/¼ cup sour cream, room temperature
2 tbsp oil
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
80ml/1/3 cup milk, room temperature
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line 15 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar and mix until evenly blended.
3) Add softened butter and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium-low and continue to beat until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs, about 2 minutes.
4) In another bowl, whisk together egg, yolk, sour cream, oil and vanilla. Add it to the flour mixture and beat on low speed until moistened, about 20 seconds.
5) Gradually add milk and then beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Do not over-mix.
For the frosting:
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
56g/1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/2 tbsp milk, depending on the consistency you want
1 1/4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1) Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
2) Add a small amount of milk to reach desired spreading consistency. Add cocoa powder and beat well. (The more you beat the more fluffy frosting you get)
3) Spread over the cooled cupcakes.