This pie is an experiment which should be called "what to do if you have too many apples in the garden".
The most difficult part was peeling and coring so many apples. Especially with my smallish, uneven apples. But overall this is an easy recipe. With only a few ingredients it takes no more than 10 minutes preparation time. And the best part of it? It's completely butter or oil free. And believe me, you could never say that after tasting it. It's very, very moist. I think pictures prove it. What is more, the cake is certainly delicious and light as there are much more apples than pastry. Now you can eat a pie for breakfast and even late in the evening and feel no guilt. What could be better?
Fat-Free Apple Pie
7 cups chopped apples (preferably mixed)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
150g all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
180g white sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1) Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a deep baking dish.
2) In a small bowl, combine together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
3) In another bowl, combine together eggs and buttermilk.
4) Add dry ingredients to the buttermilk/egg mixture.
5) Place apples in a large bowl. Pour the batter over apple chunks and stir to coat evenly. Spread everything into the baking dish and bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Leave to stand for a few hours, preferably overnight. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe by collecting memories