Saturday, August 03, 2013
Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Fudge Layer (low-fat)
One thing is clear. I've become obsessed with baking without butter or oil. Trying substitutes like banana, greek yogurt, avocado makes baking interesting and unexpected. You never know how the recipe will turn out. And when it turns out great, I am happy.
When I took it out of the oven the appearance did not impress me too much. Even though I was very curious to look what's inside I was patient enough to place it into the fridge and wait for the next morning.
And then came the happy morning. I sliced it and saw a beautiful, moist white cake with a dark mousse-like bottom. Magic! After I had examined its appearance, tasting time came. The cake was so unbelievably moist you could never say there's no fat! And moreover, it was chewy like a brownie! Especially around the edges. The chocolate layer was the most fantastic. It was so creamy!
So the next day there was no cake left. I felt very proud, haha. I wanted to give it "Magic Cake" name but we all know that the cake with this name already exists. So I gave it a ridiculously long and weird name. At least it says almost everything about this cake. The name should actually be "Fat-free chewy greek yogurt moist vanilla cake squares with fudgy chocolate mousse bottom". Hmm that would sound quite weird though...
Fat-Free Vanilla Cake with Chocolate Fudge Layer
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp salt
2 egg whites
100g greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate fudge layer:
2 egg yolks
1 tsp instant coffee granules
25g unsweetened cocoa powder
150g greek yogurt
Prepare a 20x20cm square silicone baking dish. I highly reccommend using a silicone dish because the cake might stick to the bottom and it might be difficult to take it out of the dish.
Preheat oven to 180 deg Celsius.
Make the Vanilla Cake:
1) In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
2) In another bowl, stir together greek yogurt, milk and vanilla extract.
3) Add the dry ingredients to the greek yogurt mixture and stir until well combined.
4) Beat egg whites until stiff and gradually add them into the batter. Stir just until combined. Spread into the baking pan.
Make the chocolate layer:
1) Beat yolks with sugar until light. Add greek yogurt, milk and mix until incorporated.
2) In another bowl, mix together instant coffee granules, cocoa powder, flour and salt. Add this to the yolk mixture. Mix everything well.
3) Gradually pour the chocolate mixture onto the vanilla batter, making swirls with a fork.
4) Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Transfer on a wire rack and cool completely.
Recipe by collecting memories