I am so happy to share this amazing recipe for extremely buttery, melt in your mouth caramel bars. These are like thick buttery crumbly cookies with a gooey salty caramel layer in the middle. Yes, SALTY. Salt is very important in this recipe so don't even try to reduce the amount of salt here. These are made with brown butter which makes them even better. And the best part? They are ridiculously easy. You need a few ingredients to make these and just a few minutes to prepare them. When I saw this recipe on this amazing blog, I knew I will fall in love with these bars. I encourage you to make these. Now.
Caramel Crumb Bars with Brown Butter
1 can dulce de leche
225g (1 cup) butter
2 tsp salt
200g (1 cup) sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
375g (3 cups) flour
1) Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Grease a 20 x 20 cm / 8 x 8 inch metal baking pan or prepare a silicone baking pan.
2) In a small saucepan, place the butter and cook on medium high heat until browned and fragrant (You will see brown bits in the bottom of a saucepan. You don't want to burn it so remove it from heat when it turns golden brown).
3) Transfer the butter into a large bowl and mix in the salt and sugar. Whisk in the egg and vanilla extract.
4) Add in the flour and mix just until it's incorporated. Press half of the dough into the bottom of a pan. Spread dulce de leche on top and crumble remaining dough on top of it, pressing it slightly.
5) Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool completely before slicing.
Recipe adapted from here.