Saturday, April 04, 2015

Cranberry Muffins









Blogging isn't easy. Why? Because I took nearly 300 photos of these muffins. I used every plate I had in my cupboard to make these look good in the pictures and, afterwards, sure enough, I had to wash them all. It didn't help though. The lightning was so bad that none of the plates helped. I think I should move to Los Angeles or somewhere else where sun exists. Okay, so the next day I spent almost the whole day trying to pick the best photos. They were all looking pretty much the same. Gosh. Is it so hard to take normal pictures for all food bloggers?!

And that not about all. Only the second attempt to make these taste and look good was successful. The first batch turned out flat! Flat muffins are a disaster. Flat muffins shouldn't exist. So I ate them all and made a second batch. Perfect!! They rose perfectly, had sugary and crunchy tops, moistness from the sour cream and tartness from the juicy cranberries. Totally my kind of muffins. And these weren't too sweet so you can definitely have some for breakfast. 

So now you know the story of these muffins. To avoid my mistakes, don't overbeat the batter. I mean, you don't have to beat it at all. Lumps in the batter are OK. Also, the first (flat) batch baked in a lower temperature (350F/180C) which was my mistake. Muffins should be baked at least at 200C/400F. 

And now, it's muffin time. 


Cranberry Muffins 

312g (2 1/2 cup) flour
2 tsp baking powder
226g (1 cup) white sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
76g (2/3 stick) butter, melted and cooled
230g (1 cup) sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g cranberries, frozen
1 tbsp flour
Sugar, to sprinkle (optional)

1) Preheat oven to 200C / 400F. Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners. Set aside.

2) In a large bowl, combine together flour, baking powder and sugar. Set aside.

3) In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Stir just until combined.

4) In a small bowl, mix together cranberries and 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix them into the batter. 

5) Divide the batter among muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with some granulated sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes or until nicely puffed and golden brown on top.

6) Cool before serving. I also made a simple icing sugar glaze: mix a cup of icing sugar with a few tablespoons of water and drizzle onto the cooled muffins.

Recipe by collecting memories






2 comments:

  1. I just made these and they are so good. I probably used too much flower though because it felt really thick, but I put in a third of a stick of butter and they came out good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...