Thursday, November 03, 2011

Citrus Cookies




These simple cookies are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. They are soft and lightly sweet. The icing gives more sweetness but the lemon zest gives some bitterness. I prefer them more bitter so if you want you can add more lemon zest. Here's the recipe!

For the cookies:
125g unsalted butter
90g icing sugar
185g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons lemon zest
2 teaspoons lime zest
80g sour cream
1 tbsp lemon juice

For the orange icing:
150g icing sugar
2 tsp orange zest*
2 tbsp orange juice*

*I didn't have any orange so I substituted it with lemon zest and juice.

1) Preheat the oven to 180C. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Place butter, icing sugar, flour, lime and lemon zest in a food processor. Process for 10 seconds or until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (I didn't have a food processor so I made it by hand. I mixed all ingredients and finally cut the butter in it, it takes more time but the result is the same). Add the sour cream and lemon juice and process for 10 secs or until the mixture is well combined (The mixture for me looked too dry so I added some additional juice and sour cream. I'm not sure if it was necessary but I was afraid that my cookies will be too hard).

2) Drop level tablespoons of mixture onto the prepared trays. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. 

3) To make the orange icing, combine all ingredients in a bowl  and stand it over a pan of simmering watter, stirring until the icing is smooth and glossy. Spread the icing over the cookies with a flat-bladed knife (I dipped each cookie into the icing because this looked easier for me).


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just tried this recipe, and my dough was very wet, not dry as described. My cookies also didn't puff up. My icing didn't come out as pictured either.

    I'm going to have to tweak this the next time i make it, but the flavor is perfect! Not too sweet, with all that lovely citrus flavors.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...