Friday, November 04, 2011
The Best Apple Pie
The best apple pie I've tried!
For the dough:
1 tsp baking powder
200g cold butter
160g icing sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
50g icing sugar
For the filling:
800g apples, cut into thin cubes
2 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 egg, beaten
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Fold in cold butter and mix until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
2. Add an egg yolk and mix until it becomes smooth and soft.
3. Put 2/3 of batter into the prepared baking dish, covering the bottom and the sides. Wrap the remaining dough and transfer to the refrigerator.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C.
5. Mix apples with raisins, cinnamon and icing sugar.
6. Sprinkle 50g of icing sugar over the batter and pour mixed apples on top.
7. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll it into a thin rectangular. Cut it into stripes and put over the filling.
8. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
9. Bake for 1 hour 10 mins or until golden brown.
10. Take out of the oven and cool at least for one hour.