Every single day I want a dessert. I can't help myself but in the evenings I always want something sweet. The same happened yesterday but I didn't have anything to eat. What a catastrophe! Moreover, there was nothing in the fridge. I only had some flour, sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and homemade applesauce leftovers. What to do with such ingredients? Applesauce muffins! Made totally from scratch they turned out fantastically! For fun I decided to make a filling for them.Well.. I think pictures tell more than I. Just look at their moistness. And make them. Now!
For the muffins:
- 8 tablespoons sweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark rye flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt
For the filling and topping:
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 hazelnuts, finely chopped
- ~2-3 tablespoons applesauce
- To make the muffins: preheat oven to 190C. Line 12 cupcake liners into the tins.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, applesauce, sugar and eggs together. Add in vanilla. Gently stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour about a tablespoon batter into the bottom of the tin. Add 1/2 teaspoon filling on top of batter. Cover filling with another tablespoon batter. Sprinkle each with filling (which you set aside - look below).
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Let muffins cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- To make the filling: mix ½ tbsp sugar with cocoa and half of the hazelnuts. In another bowl, mix another ½ tbsp sugar with cinnamon and the remaining hazelnuts. Take a teaspoon of each mixture and set aside (for sprinkling the tops). Mix in the applesauce into cinnamon and cocoa fillings to make a smooth not too runny paste.