Sunday, July 14, 2013

Baked Cabbage




Cabbage has never been my favourite veggie. I guess that's just because I've never tried making anything with it. All I've tried was a raw cabbage in a salad, pickled cabbage or a filling in an empanada...
So when I bought a cabbage a few days ago I didn't want to make the same - too boring. I had to think of something more impressive. Hmmm..What about... baking a cabbage? Seasoned with spices, roasted in butter and baked in a sour cream sauce. Sounds good. The smell while I was roasting it was great and I knew it was going to taste great, too. It was nicely browned, fragrant and reminded me of roasted brussels sprouts. 

And then I took it out of the oven. Wait a moment. Am I eating a cabbage? A cabbage??? Can a CABBAGE taste SO good? Noo way. Try this recipe, especially if you don't like cabbage.


Baked Cabbage
1 head cabbage
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cumin seeds
pinch sesame seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp vegetable stock
5 tbsp sour cream
1/2 tbsp butter

1) Cut the cabbage into 8 equal wedges. Place in a salted boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from water, pour on some cold tap water and leave to drain.

2) In a large saucepan, melt 1 tbsp of butter. Place the cabbage on one side and roast until little browned on both sides. Add cumin, paprika, salt and 4 tablespoons of vegetable stock. Cover and saute for about 15 minutes on medium-low heat.

3) Preheat your oven to 220C.

4) Pour the remaining vegetable stock into a large oval baking dish so all the bottom is coated. Place cabbage wedges and spread sour cream on top. Sprinkle some butter on top. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.

Recipe by collecting memories


2 comments:

  1. This is great...I always buy a head of cabbage for a salad or something else where I don't use all of it, and then I'm stumped with what to do with the rest of it. Thanks for the idea!

    xxx
    Jaclyn
    http://www.loveandbellinis.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're going to try this! It's really delicious :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...